Validation of Our Sustainability Efforts
At Waters, we were recently recognized for our evolving corporate sustainability practices and named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI). The DJSI is one of the pre-eminent global standards for assessing corporate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance, and DJSI membership serves as a testament to our enterprise-wide commitment to enhance human health and wellbeing.
Our customers and investors rely on us to operate with increased responsibility and transparency. We embrace this accountability, and our commitment to meaningfully advance our sustainability initiatives is illustrated by thoughtful work and planning across our organization. Our recent Sustainability Report, which summarizes our 2020 ESG activities, highlights some of the ways we have carried out our pledge to deliver benefit in the face of a considerably challenging year.
From the development of life-saving pharmaceuticals to ensuring the safety of the world’s food and water supplies or the integrity of a chemical entity in production, we are constantly working to positively impact the lives of our customers. We believe that sustainable activities inspire innovation and contribute to operational excellence, so we try to integrate sustainable thinking and practice into our strategy, operations, and products. Our commitment to responsible behavior manifests itself in several ways. For example:
- Environmental Impact
- We obtained approximately 27% of our total electricity consumption from renewable and/or low-carbon sources, as we convert our most energy-intensive manufacturing facilities to renewable and/or low-carbon electricity sources.
- Increasing the proportion of electric and hybrid vehicles in our service fleet.
- Redesigning product packaging to decrease size and weight and to increase our use of recycled and recyclable materials.
- Social Impact
- Enabling STEM mentorship at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and local high schools that combine scholarships, career coaching, local mentoring and Waters innovations.
- Our commitment to diversity equity and inclusion supports our imperative to recruit diverse and innovative talent while building a culture of belonging and support. We have developed hiring partnerships with diversity recruiting vendors such as Hire Heroes, Power to Fly, National Society of Black Engineers, and Out in Tech.
- Last year we added the Global Reporting Index (GRI) and this year evolved our reporting process to offer greater transparency and data to our stakeholders, by including detailed disclosures in line with the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB).
Only a few, well-respected companies within a given industry are selected for inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index family, and we are honored to be included. At the same time, we feel that we are only at the beginning of a long transformational process, and this recognition serves as a validation that we are on the right track. We are committed more than ever to do our part to leave the world better than we found it.