Get Empowered: Using, Modifying, and Creating Report Methods | Tip #163, Setting Up Automatic Email Notifications
Tip #163: Setting Up Automatic Email Notifications in Empower
Welcome back to Get Empowered! In the last Empower tip-of-the-week post for Empower Chromatography Data Software, we recapped the Empower Tips from 2019 and answered a few questions from subscribers (Tip #162).
In this week’s tip, we will learn about automatic notifications of an error by sending an email. We may also want to automate the emailing of a report for a critical result to someone. In both cases, the recipient is not logged into Empower but needs immediate notification of these activities.
Let’s get started.
CASE 1 | Notification of an Error
From the ‘View’ menu in the Configuration Manager window select ‘System Policies’ (figure 1).
On the ‘E-Mail’ tab select the ‘category’, the ‘type’, enter the ‘email address’, and check the ‘E-Mail’ box. Click ‘OK’ (figure 2). PLEASE NOTE: Anytime a system policy is changed, you need to log out of Empower and log back in for the change to take effect.
Go to ‘All Programs’ > ‘Empower’ and select ‘Manage Waters Email Center’ (figure 3).
Select the ‘Database’ from the drop-down list and set the frequency (Manage Email Center) for how often the system checks for new emails. Click ‘OK’ (figure 4).
Go to ‘Control Panel’ > ‘All Control Panel Items’ and select ‘Administrative Tools’ (figure 5).
Double click on ‘Services’ (figure 6).
Scroll down to ‘WatersEmailService’ and make sure it is running. If not, right click and select ‘Start’ (figure 7).
In this example, ‘george’ attempted to log in, failed and this automatically triggered an email to be sent (figure 8).
CASE 2 | Sending a Report
Create an Export Method. On the ‘Report’ tab enter the email address of the recipient and select the ‘Report Method’ from the drop-down list (figure 9).
There are a few ways to export a result: manually or automatically. In this case it is a ‘manual export’ (figure 10).
The email is received with the attached PDF of the report (figure 11).
Open the PDF to read the report (figure 12).
It’s that easy!
Final Note: This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #164 – Next week we will wrap up our series on Report Methods.
JOIN US for an Empower: Ask Me Anything Webinar on March 18, 2020.
Neil will answer your questions about using Sample Set Methods and Sample Set Method Template in Empower Software
Learn More and Register
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Minimize your lab downtime and protect your business against potentially expensive disruptions with the Empower Enterprise Software Extended Critical Support Plan with 24 x 7 x 365 coverage – Learn more
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!