Get Empowered: Using, Modifying, and Creating Report Methods | Tip #160, Automatically Print Empower Reports in NuGenesis SDMS
Tip #160: Automatically Print Empower Reports in NuGenesis SDMS
In this week’s tip, we will learn how to setup Empower to automatically print Empower reports into NuGenesis Scientific Data Management System (SDMS) after they have been electronically signed in the Empower Report Publisher.
Before we can begin, there are some prerequisites that your NuGenesis administrator will need to configure.
- You will need to have NuGenesis SDMS deployed and accessible in your environment.
- You will need to have configured a Print Data project in NuGenesis SDMS to act as the repository for the printed Empower reports.
- A NuGenesis UNIFY network printer must be configured and accessible to your Empower environment.
- In order to extract and index metadata from your printed report, you will need to create a print extraction template in NuGenesis SDMS.
- If you want to see the printed report in NuGenesis SDMS, you will need login credentials for that application, but credentials are not required to print into NuGenesis SDMS.
Let’s get started.
Login to Empower and navigate to the Configuration Manager.
From the Configuration Manager, select from menu, ‘View’ > ‘SDMS Archive Properties’ (figure 1).
After the ‘NuGenesis SDMS Archive Properties’ window appears, go to the ‘Sign Off Settings’ and select your NuGenesis Printer (figure 2).
Fill in the details for your ‘NuGenesis Server URL’ and click the ‘Connect’ button. Using the drop down fields, fill in the details for ‘Server Location’, ‘Server, Project’, and ‘View’. This information will be unique to your deployment and configuration and there may only be one option in each pull down (figure 3).
If there are metadata tags that have not already been filled in for your ‘Print Data project’ or are not part of the metadata extracted from the printed report, you will have the option of pre-populating those metadata tags using the ‘Edit Tag Values’ button (figure 4).
Now we are ready to electronically sign off a report in Empower and have that report automatically print into NuGenesis SDMS. If you need help on configuring a report for electronic signatures, please review Tip #159.
Open your report in the ‘Empower Report Publisher’, review all pages, click the ‘Sign Off’ button in the toolbar, authenticate, and click the ‘Sign Off’ button in the dialog to apply your signature (figure 5).
A dialog box will appear to let you know that your signed report has been printed into NuGenesis SDMS (figure 6).
Now we can login to NuGenesis SDMS and open the project browser (figure 7).
Navigate to your NuGenesis Server, and the ‘Print Data project’ and view designated in Step 4 (figure 8).
Find your newly printed document and click on it to bring it into ‘NuGenesis VISION Preview’ (figure 9). At the top of the window, you can see the indexed metadata that was extracted using the print extraction template configured in Step 4. Additionally, this document and metadata can now be used in NuGenesis LMS and ELN.
It’s that easy!
Final Note: This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #161 – Next week we will continue our series on Report Methods.
JOIN US for an Empower: Ask Me Anything Webinar on March 18, 2020.
Neil will answer your questions about using Sample Set Methods and Sample Set Method Templates in Empower Software.
Learn More and Register
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Minimize your lab downtime and protect your business against potentially expensive disruptions with the Empower Enterprise Software Extended Critical Support Plan with 24 x 7 x 365 coverage – Learn more
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!