Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #89, Custom Fields
Tip #89: Creating Custom Fields in Empower (Part 8)
Creating Custom Fields in Empower:
- #82: The basic steps on creating a Custom Field
- #83: How to create a Custom Sample Set Field
- #84: How to create a Component Custom Field
- #85: How to create a Peak Custom Field
- #86: How to copy a Custom Field from one project to another
- #87: How to modify a Custom Field
- #88: How to create a Result Custom Field
This week we will learn how to modify a Custom Field that applies to specific samples and/or specific peaks (Part 8).
Please refer back to Tip #87 which covered how to modify an existing Custom Field.
Let’s get started.
Let’s first review the result from Tip #88. The average peak width was calculated based on all peaks in the chromatogram, which includes Found and Unknown peaks (Figure 1).
Let’s modify the Custom Field to calculate average peak width for only the Found peaks. Go to the properties of the project, Custom Fields tab, Highlight the Custom Field and click Edit. (Note: the Sample Type and Peak Type fields both default to All) (Figure 2).
Click and view the choices in the drop-down list for Sample Type. We could have this calculation done for only standards or only controls (Figure 3).
Click and view the choices in the drop-down list for Peak Type. In this case, we select Founds so that Empower makes the calculation for only Found peaks (Figure 4).
Once you make the choice, a warning message appears telling you that the Custom Field will be calculated for only the selected peak type. Click OK (Figure 5).
Once we reprocess our data, we see the average peak width value is different now that we have excluded the Unknown peak from the calculation (Figure 6).
It’s that easy!
Final Notes: This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #90 – We’ll continue our series on Custom Fields.
- OnDemand Webinar: Challenges Using Spreadsheets for Calculating and Documenting Laboratory Results in a Regulated Environment. Learn More
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!