Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #83, Custom Fields
Tip #83: Creating Custom Fields in Empower (Part 2)
This week, we will continue with Custom Fields and learn how to create a Custom Sample Set Field.
A Sample Field is something that identifies a sample and each sample can have its own set of unique identifiers. A Custom Sample Set Field is something that identifies the entire Sample Set. Common Custom Sample Set Fields are method type, column used, and mobile phase used. (View Tip #82 for the basic steps on creating a Custom Field.)
Let’s get started.
Launch the new Custom Field wizard. On the Data and Type Selection screen, select Sample Set for Field Type and Enumerated for Data Type (Figure 1). The Enumerated Data type will allow us to create a list of choices for our Custom Field.
On the Source Selection screen, a new selection is available called “Use As.” We will discuss Use As in a future tip, but for this Custom Field example, leave it at default (Figure 2).
On the Translation Definition Table, create the list of choices in the Translation column by clicking in the empty cells and typing. In this example, we have a list of three methods (Figure 3).
On the Name Entry screen, enter the name and click Finish (Figure 4). Remember to click OK on the warning message when it appears.
Open the project, launch the Run Sample window, and load the Sample Set Method. To make the selection for the Sample Set Custom Field, click the Sample Set Information tool in the toolbar (Figure 5).
The Sample Set information window will open and you will see a column for our new Custom Field. Click in the first empty cell and the created list will appear. Make selection and click OK (Figure 6).
Save the change to the Sample Set Method (Figure 7).
Create a View Filter to include the new Sample Set Field (Figure 8).
It’s that easy!
- Sample Set Fields can be included in the report method as well.
- You can enter values for both Sample and Sample Set Custom Fields post run in the Alter Sample Set window.
- This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #84 – We’ll continue our series on Custom Fields and learn how to create a Component Custom Field
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!