Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #66, Method Sets
Tip #66: Working with Method Sets in Empower (Part 1)
This week we will begin a new multi-part discussion around Method Sets: How to subtract a 3D baseline from 3D PDA data (Part 1).
From time to time, I am asked if Empower can subtract a 3D baseline from 3D data such as from a PDA. If the method calls for a gradient and the gradient results in a rising baseline, it may be desirable to subtract the baseline across the wavelength range. Sound complicated? It’s very easy to do.
Let me show you how it is done.
We begin by bringing a Sample Set into Review, open, and apply the Method Set. The mobile phase in this case is water/acetonitrile and the gradient goes from 7% acetonitrile to 20% acetonitrile in 1.5 minutes. We see the resulting rise in the baseline for the blank (Figure 1).
Go to the Method Set window and enter the label for the blank injection into the PDA 3D Blank Subtraction field (Figure 2). The label comes from the Sample Set Method and, in this case, is simply B.
Save the change to the Method Set, return to the Main Window, and reapply the Method Set. Notice that the baseline for the blank is a straight line, i.e., it subtracted from itself should result in a straight line (Figure 3).
Select one of the standards or samples and zoom in on the baseline. Notice the flat baseline, which results from subtracting the blank baseline (Figure 4).
Finally, I have included an overlay of the baseline for the sample without the subtraction (blue) and with the subtraction (black) (Figure 5).
It’s that easy!
- I would only recommend following this procedure if the baseline is very reproducible from injection to injection.
- This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #67 – Working with Method Sets (part 2).
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning
- It’s not too late to register for [inform] 2018, our annual Informatics Users’ Conference, May 14-17, 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark – Come to meet Neil!
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, Enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Marketplace
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions. Join the Informatics Community Forum
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!