Get Empowered: Project Backup, Archival and Restoring Data | Tip #142, Archiving Projects Automatically with NuGenesis LMS
Tip #142: Archiving Projects Automatically with NuGenesis LMS in Empower Software
In this week’s tip, we will learn how to archive Empower projects automatically using NuGenesis Laboratory Management System (LMS). The NuGenesis LMS Archive Agent can be configured to check your Empower projects periodically and if any of them have been inactive for a period, they will automatically be archived into the NuGenesis LMS database.
Let’s get started.
From the NuGenesis Scientific Data Management System (SDMS) Service Configuration Console (SCC), stop the Archive Agent if it’s already running, then from the NuGenesis SDMS Administrator create a new File Data Project by selecting menu -> Actions -> Projects -> New (figure 1).
Give your project a name and click ‘Next’. Check any settings to meet your business needs, then click ‘Finish’ (figure 2).
Open the Properties of the project created in Step 2 by right-clicking on the project and select ‘Properties’ (figure 3).
Navigate to the Templates tab, click ‘New’, select File Capture Template, and click ‘OK’ (figure 4).
Fill in the Template Name field at the top, then click ‘Add’ at the bottom left corner (figure 5).
Some parameters, such as Remote DCOM Server, Product, and Path are going to be unique to your environment. Set the following parameters to values that address your specific business needs. In our case, we are going to have NuGenesis scan for inactive Empower projects once every day (figure 6).
- For Grouping: select Project Level.
- For Scan Frequency: set to 1 Day.
- For Archive Protocol: set to 1 Month After Project Modified.
- Optionally set a ‘Delete Protocol’ to automatically delete the project to free up space on your Empower server.
Associate the Tag Labels with the appropriate Tag Markers.
Select the Advanced tab, then enter the Empower User and Password, and select your Empower Server. Optionally, check any projects that you do NOT want NuGenesis to automatically archive. Click OK, followed by Save & Exit (figure 7).
Launch the NuGenesis SDMS SCC, select Archive Agent, click ‘Add’, then select the Project created in Step 2, and the Template created in Steps 4 – 6. Click ‘Create’. Click ‘Save’. Then start the Archive Agent (figure 8).
The NuGenesis Archive Agent will now check your Empower projects every day to see if they’ve been inactive for a month, and if they have it will archive them into the NuGenesis database, and optionally delete them from Empower. This function can also be activated directly in Empower by enabling ‘Archive When Project Deleted’ in the NuGenesis SDMS Archive Properties of the Empower Configuration Manager, or by right-clicking on a project and selecting Manual Archive.
It’s that easy!
- Your Empower user will need to have the appropriate privileges to backup, archive and restore projects.
- Your NuGenesis user will need to have the appropriate privileges to access and change SDMS Administrator and SCC.
- The SCC must be run as an administrator.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #142 – Next week we will continue the discussion on Project Backup, Archival and Restoring Data in Empower Software (Part 4).
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!