Get Empowered: Tip #218 | Export Methods
Tip #218: Exporting Data, Results, and Reports with Export Methods in Empower
In this week’s tip, we will begin a new series on creating and working with Export Methods. There may be times when raw data, results, and/or reports need to be exported out of Empower to another application. For example, some need to send information from Empower to a LIMS. An Export Method will accomplish this goal.
Let’s get started.
You can export data from Empower in several file formats. The file extension for the exported data varies depending on which format you select (figure 1).
From the Methods tab in the Project, right click, and select ‘New Method, Export Method’ (figure 2).
The Export Method Editor Opens on the Fields tab (figure 3).
In this example, we will export a table of data and first need to define the destination of the exported file (figure 4).
- In the filename field, enter a ‘root name’ for the exported file
- Check the ‘Export ASCII File’ box
- To the right of the empty field, click the box with the ‘3 dots’
- Find the path to the folder or drive to which the data will be exported and click ‘OK’
Now, you can define the fields of information you want to be exported (figure 5).
Check the ‘Export Table Data’ box and optionally the ‘Export Row Numbers’ box. The easiest way to configure the fields is to select a preconfigured table and then modify it accordingly. These tables are the same ones found in the Report Publisher. Click ‘Load Table’, select a table, and click ‘Open’ (figure 6).
You can modify the table by clicking ‘Edit Table’ and edit as you would a table in a Report Method. I would recommend exporting Sample Information so that you know which sample the data came from. Check the ‘Export Field Data’ box (figure 7).
Add some basic information, such as ‘Sample Name’ and ‘Injection’ (figure 8).
Save all changes to the Export Method, go to the Results tab, right click on a Result(s), and select ‘Export’ (figure 9).
In the Exporting section of the Background Processing and Reporting dialogue box, select ‘Use Specified Export Method’, select the ‘Export Method’ from the dropdown list and click ‘OK’ (figure 10).
The file is opened and parsed in Microsoft Excel. The four-digit number in the file name is the ‘Result ID’ (figure 11).
It’s that easy!
Final Note: You can use either the Pro or QuickStart interface for this tip.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #219: We will continue the series on working with Export Methods.
More Empower Resources:
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Minimize your lab downtime and protect your business against potentially expensive disruptions with the Empower Enterprise Software Extended Critical Support Plan with 24 x 7 x 365 coverage – Learn more
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!