Get Empowered: Empower User Question | Tip #231, Setting a Minimum Area for a Group Peak
Tip #231 | Empower User Question: Setting a minimum area for a group peak in Empower
In this week’s tip, we will answer an Empower user question.
Q: How do I set a minimum area for my group peak?
Great question. The Minimum Area and Minimum Height in the Processing Method apply to individual peaks. There is a way to do this for group peaks.
Let’s get started.
Create a Group Peak, in this example, it is a ‘Named Group’ (figure 1).
Create a Peak Custom Field, Data Type Real. In this first example:
- If the area of the group peak is greater than the value entered, it reports the area for that group peak.
- If the area of the group peak is less than the value, it returns a 0.
(Alternatively, you could use CCompRef1 in the Custom Field rather than entering the value. NOTE: CCompRef1 is in the Components tab of the Processing Method.) (figure 2).
Create another Peak Custom Field, Data Type Real. In this second example:
Divide the result from the previous Custom Field by the ‘Total Area and multiplies by 100’ to report the ‘%Area’ for the Group Peak. The Total Area is already calculated by default in Empower and represents the total area of all integrated peaks in the chromatogram (figure 3).
In the first example, the area of the Group Peak is greater than the value, therefore, both the area and %area are reported (figure 4).
In the second example, the area of the Group Peak is less than the value, therefore, the %Area is 0 (figure 5).
It’s that easy!
Final Note: You can use either the Pro or QuickStart interface for this tip.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #232: We will learn how to quantitate a peak at one wavelength, referencing a calibration curve of a different peak at another wavelength, with the PDA detector.
JOIN US for an Empower: Ask Me Anything Webinar on July 14, 2021
Neil will answer your questions about ensuring Data Quality by benchmarking system performance.
More Empower Resources:
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Minimize your lab downtime and protect your business against potentially expensive disruptions with the Empower Enterprise Software Extended Critical Support Plan with 24 x 7 x 365 coverage – Learn more
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!