Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #94, Custom Fields
Tip #94: Creating Custom Fields in Empower (Part 12)
This week we will continue with our series on Custom Fields and learn how to create an Intersample Custom Field with a summary function (Part 12).
Creating Custom Fields in Empower:
- #82: The basic steps on creating a Custom Field
- #83: How to create a Custom Sample Set Field
- #84: How to create a Component Custom Field
- #85: How to create a Peak Custom Field
- #86: How to copy a Custom Field from one project to another
- #87: How to modify a Custom Field
- #88: How to create a Result Custom Field
- #89: How to modify a Custom Field that applies to specific samples and/or specific peaks
- #90: How to use Empower to evaluate whether the sample meets specific criteria
- #92: How to create one custom field to determine a sample pass/fail
- #93: How to create an Intersample Custom Field
This week, we will create an Intersample Custom Field with a summary function, such as average or %RSD, and learn how Empower Software calculates the average area or the %RSD of the area (i.e., for a peak of interest over multiple samples).
Q: Why create a Custom Field when a simple summary report will provide those values?
A: When we view the average or %RSD in a summary report, we only see those values in either the Print Preview screen or if we save the report as a PDF. The result of the Custom Field is stored and we can use those values for further calculations like a pass/fail.
Let’s get started.
The syntax for Intersample calculations is seen in Figure 1. The difference is the addition of the summary function.
We can take advantage of some “shortcuts” in this Custom Field. For example, we can use the % symbol to replace multiple characters in the sample labels and/or use it to tell Empower to use ‘all of the injections’ in the calculation (Figure 2).
Whenever we use a summary function, we need to add one final line to our Sample Set Method, which is Summarize Custom Fields (Figure 3).
The result: the %RSD for the retention time of our peak is 0.234% (Figure 4).
For purpose of comparison: view the summary report showing the same information (Figure 5).
It’s that easy!
- See Tip#90 to learn how to create a custom field for pass/fail evaluation.
- This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #95 – We’ll continue our series on Custom Fields.
JOIN US for an Empower: Ask Me Anything Webinar on November 15, 2018. Neil will answer your questions and provide brief demos for completing tasks in Empower. Learn More and Register
- Save the Date for [inform] 2019. Waters Informatics Users’ Conference, May 20-23 in Austin, Texas. Learn More
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!