Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #84, Custom Fields
Tip #84: Creating Custom Fields in Empower (Part 3)
Creating Custom Fields in Empower:
This week, we will learn how to create a Component Custom Field (Part 3).
A Component Custom Field is a real number that is related to a component(s). These values are typically used in subsequent Peak Custom Fields (calculations), which we will cover in a future tip. The perfect example is a common one – Label Claim. (We will use this value in a future peak field to calculate percent of Label Claim.)
Let’s get started.
Launch the new Custom Field wizard. On the Data and Type Selection screen select Component and the data type defaults to Real (Figure 1).
On the Numeric Parameters screen, in addition to width and precision, we have the ability to enter a minimum and maximum value for this field. This would prevent someone from entering a value outside of the accepted range (Figure 2).
Where are these values entered? After loading a Sample Set method in Run Samples click the Amount tool (Figure 3).
Once the Component Editor opens, you will see a tab for the Component Field we created (Figure 4).
Click on the tab for Label Claim. In order to enter the Label Claim for the samples, click the SampleSet Type drop-down list and select Standards & Unknowns (Figure 5).
Enter the Label Claim value for the component(s). If you enter a value outside of the range specified when we created the Custom Field, a message is displayed reminding you of the acceptable range (Figure 6).
We can enter the information post run in the Alter Sample window by clicking the Amount tool (Figure 7).
Click the Label_Claim tab, change the SampleSet Type to Standards & Samples and then enter the Label Claim value for the component(s) (Figure 8).
It’s that easy!
- You can report these values by adding the Component Amounts Group to the report method.
- This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface. When using the QuickStart interface and in the Sample Queue, click the Components tool to access the Component Editor.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #85 – We’ll continue our series on Custom Fields and learn how to create a Peak Custom Field (Part 4).
- Upcoming Webinar: Challenges Using Spreadsheets for Calculating and Documenting Laboratory Results in a Regulated Environment. Learn More/Register
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!