Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #53
Tip #53: Deriving Channels in Empower (Part 6)
Welcome back to Get Empowered! In our last tip-of-the-week blog for Empower Software, we reviewed Deriving Channels in Empower.
- Tip 47: Smooth a chromatogram by Deriving a Channel (part 1)
- Tip 48: Correct for the time offset between detectors connected in series by Deriving a Channel (part 2)
- Tip 49: Subtract a baseline from a 2D chromatogram by Deriving a Channel (part 3).
- Tip 51: Subtract a 2D baseline from 3D PDA data by Deriving a Channel (part 4).
- Tip 52: Derive MaxPlot from 3D PDA data (part 5)
In this tip, we will discuss another option for Deriving Channels when working with PDA data, called TotalPlot.
TotalPlot is a 2D chromatogram that plots each time point at the average absorbance across the wavelength range.
Let’s get started.
We begin by bringing a sample set into Review and open the Method Set (Figure 1).
Go to the Method Set window and Derive a Channel, selecting TotalPlot (Figure 2).
Decide on the wavelength range over which you want TotalPlot displayed. For the Start Wavelength, think about the UV cutoff of the mobile phase and avoid the low wavelengths. Likewise for the End Wavelength, if the sample doesn’t absorb in the visible region then set the end wavelength near the end of the UV range (Figure 3).
Save the Derived Channel and select a generic Processing Method (Figure 4).
Return to the main window and apply the Method Set (Figure 5). The TotalPlot chromatogram is displayed and the apex spectrum for every integrated peak is displayed in Spectrum Review.
It’s that easy!
I learned about deriving channels in Empower! #EmpowerTips Click To Tweet
Final note: This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #54: Deriving Channels in Empower (part 7).
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning
- Register Now for [inform] 2018, Waters Informatics Users’ Conference, May 14-17 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Marketplace
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software
- Comments? Connect with at #EmpowerTips or @WatersCorp on Twitter.
- Submit an Empower 3 Review with Select Science. Write a review.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!