Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #19
Tip #19: Simplifying Review when Working with 3D PDA Data
In the last Empower Tip of the Week blog for Empower Software, we explored simplifying Review when working with 2D data. This tip will address simplifying review when working with 3D PDA data.
Wouldn’t it be nice if when you bring 3D PDA data into Review it automatically displayed a chromatogram? And the chromatogram was integrated with lambda max for each peak displayed? Guess what? Empower can be set up to do this and it is easy.
We start out in Review with a channel for a sample. The contour plot is displayed, however, there is no chromatogram, peak information nor any spectra. In the lower portion of the window the Method Set and Processing Method are both Untitled (Figure 1).
From the Options menu select Method Set Options (Figure 2).
The Method Set Options dialogue box opens (Figure 3). This lets you pick a Method Set that will be automatically applied to the data when you open Review. The Method Set you select must contain a derived channel for a specified wavelength (or MaxPlot) and a Processing Method for this to work properly. The first option tells Empower to open and apply the Acquisition Method Set, or in plain terms, the Method Set used when you injected the samples.
The second option tells Empower Software to open and apply a specified Method Set. This option requires that you select a Method Set from the list. Check the box that says Automatically Apply Method Set and click OK (Figure 4).
Now, if we take the same channel into Review, the Method Set is automatically opened and applied. The wavelength of interest is extracted, the chromatogram is integrated with all of the peak information and, the name of the Method Set and Processing Method appear in the lower portion of the window (Figure 5).
Be sure to include the Peak Lambda Max field in the peaks table to display the lambda max for each peak. You can also include the lambda max as a peak label. Right-click in the chromatogram and select Properties (Figure 6).
On the Peak Labels tab select Peak Lambda Max as one of the labels (Figure 7) and click OK.
The lambda max appears as a label for each peak (Figure 8).
- This works the same if you use the QuickStart Interface.
- Selecting to apply the Acquisition Method Set is a bit more flexible because if you run a variety of samples with a variety of Method Sets, Empower will use the Method Set associated with each sample.
- This procedure works the same for Injections and Sample Sets.
- For method development I would recommend starting with MaxPlot, rather than a specified wavelength, and a default processing method.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #20:Comparing UV Spectra from Different Channels
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software
- Comments? Connect with at #EmpowerTips or @WatersCorp on Twitter.
- Submit an Empower 3 Review with Select Science. Write a review.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!