Get Empowered: Review Window and the Processing Method | Tip #113, ACQUITY QDa MS Data
Tip #113: Working with ACQUITY QDa MS data in Empower Software (Part 13)
Welcome back to Get Empowered! In the last Empower tip-of-the-week post for Empower Chromatography Data Software, we learned how to create an MS spectra library from data collected with the ACQUITY QDa mass detector (Tip 112).
Working with ACQUITY QDa MS data in Empower:
- #100: How to view the base mass and mass spectra for the peaks in a chromatogram
- #101: How to work with 2D ACQUITY QDa MS data
- #103: Viewing different spectral views in the Mass Analysis window
- #104: Extracting chromatograms and spectra while working in the Mass Analysis window
- #105: Why it is important to align chromatograms when collecting data from both a PDA and a ACQUITY QDa mass detector
- #106: How to optimize sensitivity by extracting a single mass rather than working with a TIC plot
- #107: How to smooth the chromatogram using the Processing Method
- #108: How to smooth the chromatogram using a Derived Channel in the Method Set
- #109: How to track peaks using the ACQUITY QDa mass detector
- #110: Using CODA (component detection algorithm) as a tool when scouting for peaks
- #111: Using MS 3D subtraction to remove background interference
- #112: How to create a MS spectra library from data collected with the ACQUITY QDa mass detector
This week, we will continue our discussion on creating and using MS Spectral libraries.
Part 2: Learning how to use the library to identify peaks in sample chromatograms.
Empower compares the Apex Spectrum from a peak to the spectra in the Library and determines if there is a match. And there are two ways to use the libraries 1) ‘manually’ by searching one spectrum from one peak at a time or 2) ‘automated’ by adding the Library search to the Processing Method.
This week we will look at the manual technique.
Let’s get started.
Start by bringing data with the unknown peaks into Review. Once the Method Set has been opened and applied, select ‘Load Library’ from the Library menu. Highlight the Library you want to use and click ‘Load’ (figure 1).
The Library spectra are loaded into Spectrum Review and you can see their names in the Spectra tab (reference back to Tip#112). Use the ‘Select Field’ to deselect all spectra, except the one you are interested in identifying (figure 2).
Select ‘Match Parameters’ from the Library menu (figure 3).
There are two parameters which can be set for Spectral Matching.
- Search Depth tells Empower to report a number of possible matches from best to worst case. The default value is 3 and the maximum is 9.
- Retention Time Presearch Qualifier instructs Empower to look at the Retention Time of the spectrum in question and compares it to the Retention Times of the spectra in the Library before any spectral comparison is done. There is a range set by the RT Window (%).
For example: if the Retention Time of the peak is 1 minute and the RT Window (%) is 10 (default), the range is 57 to 63 seconds. When Empower looks at the Retention Time of the first spectrum in the library, if that value is within the range then the spectral comparison takes place. If not, that spectrum is removed from the search list and Empower moves on to the next spectrum.
Once the parameters are set click ‘OK’ (figure 4).
Select ‘Match Against Library’ (Library name, in this case MS Library 1) from the Library menu (figure 5).
Select the ‘Library Match’ tab under the Spectrum Review window to view the results. The higher the Match Score, the better the match. Therefore, the best match to the spectrum from the peak matches best to the called Black Cohosh 67. You can also see the Library spectra in the plot (figure 6).
It’s that easy!
- This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
- ACQUITY QDa Mass Detector is compatible with the Alliance HPLC system.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Next week in Empower Tip #114– We will continue this series on working with ACQUITY QDa MS data in Empower (Part 14).
WEBINAR: Empower Tips: Ask Me Anything About Custom Fields
March 27, 2019 | 10:00am ET | | Learn More
- REGISTRATION is OPEN for [inform] 2019. Waters Informatics Users’ Conference, May 20-23 in Austin, Texas. Learn More
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!