Get Empowered: Reader Question on Impurity Response with Two APIs | Tip #76
Tip #76, Reader question: How do you calculate impurity response when there are two APIs in the sample?
Welcome back to Get Empowered! In the last Empower tip-of-the-week post for Empower Software, we answered a submitted reader question and learned why the retention time of a peak is slightly different from the retention time of the UV apex spectrum for the peak (Tip #75). (See the link at the bottom of our post to ask your own question, or to provide a tip of your own!)
In this week’s tip, I will answer a question on calculating impurities.
Question: How do you calculate impurity response when there are two APIs in the sample?
Another great question.
Let me show you how it is done.
In this chromatogram, we see two API peaks – API A and API B. We also see some impurity peaks, some related to API A and some related to API B (Figure 1). The goal is to calculate the %Area against the Main Component where the Main Component could be API A or API B.
On the Components tab of the Processing Method, we assign the CCompRef1 to be the API, which corresponds to each impurity peak (Figure 2).
We create a custom peak field that calculates %Area against the Main Component with a simple formula using the area of the CCompRef1 peak (Figure 3).
Back in the Processing Method, we go to the Impurity tab and set the Impurity Response to the name of the custom field (Figure 4).
We integrate/quantitate and see the Impurity Response calculated for the impurity peaks using the proper API (Figure 5).
It’s that easy!
Final Note: This procedure can be followed using the QuickStart or Pro interface.
Please rate this Empower Tip of the Week
Previous questions we’ve answered:
- How can I calculate the ratio of peak height to valley height when I have a valley point between peaks?
- Why is the retention time of my peak slightly different than the retention time of the UV apex spectrum for the peak?
Next week in Empower Tip #77 – More answers to questions from our readers
- Want to learn more? Check out our Empower training courses and eLearning.
- Build your technical skills and professional network. Share, ask, and interact with peers from around the globe in dynamic discussions by joining our Informatics Community Forum.
- Empower is the first cloud-deployable, compliance-ready, enterprise chromatography data software – Learn more about Empower Cloud
- Get the latest Empower projects, options, and more. Check out the New Waters Marketplace.
- See all of our tips for using Empower CDS Software.
Do you want Empower Tips sent to your inbox every week?
Questions? Tips of your own? Let us know!